Becky is again doing her weekly prompt, working on us, and I am again participating in it. This weeks topic I think is a cool one. See my answers below!
Week #10 Topic: Social Media Affects
Prompt #1 Questions: (If certain questions do not apply, just write n/a).
- Does social media affect your overall mental health? If so, please describe how it does Well it kinda did for a while. Especially facebook. I have stopped using it so much now, because I felt it was negatively effecting me. I was constantly checking my friends profiles, seeing how many comments and stuff were on their posts, and comparing my own to theirs, and I felt after a while it was impacting me negatively. Funnily enough though it doesnt effect me the same way on wordpress, I think blogging is a much more positive place and has been far more positive for me than facebook.affect you?
- How does it make you feel when you see family/friends posting pictures of them living their life happily? I feel happy that they are happy.
- Do the following people make you feel inadequate in any way due to your mental health? Not really. My family include me in things, so I’m usually in some of the pictures that are posted, my friends have their own stuff going on, I know that, so I dont feel inadequate, no one is perfect, and while they may not have mental illness, their families could be effected by other issues.
- What has been your overall experience with social media? And, what sites do you follow? Mostly good. I havent really had any negative experiences, besides a few immature commenters on youtube. I am on twitter, facebook, youtube, and wordpress.
- Have you considered not being on social media? No. I dont think I’d like to not be on it. I like the connections I’ve made through it.
- If you have quit social media sites, has it improved your mental health and stability? NA
- Has social media ever triggered you in a negative way? Explain how? Sometimes. Seeing talk on twitter of self harm, and suicide and people planning and talking openly about methods they’ve used has triggered me in the past.
Prompt #2 We are all familiar with “Selfies” Describe for us, what is the first thing you think of when you see your family/friends keep sending and/or posting selfies?
First thing I usually think is…they really love themselves! And thats just my sarcasm coming through! 😛
I do post my own selfies sometimes too though so I cant really talk about anyone!