so in cooking class today we made burritos. they had rice and beans in them. they were so nice. i really enjoyed them. and making them was easy. we also chopped up tomato, cucumber and red onion and put that in the mixture as well. i ate two for lunch, because I was starving. everyone else ate them as well. a couple of the people in my class said they werent going to eat them, but the tutor asked them to just taste them to see if they liked them, and it turned out that they did like them when they tasted them. so none of the food got wasted because everyone ate it. it was a good experience. one i’d like to repeat again at some point. the recipe was a slimming world recipe. I’ll post it below for you all.
- Rice and bean burritos
- Serves: 4
- Cook time: Ready in about 50 minutes
- Ready in: 30-60 Minutes
- Difficulty Rating: 1
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Syns per serving:
These egg wraps pack in all the fun and flavour of a Mexican burrito and with no high-Syn tortillas in sight, theyre absolutely Free!
- 150g dried long-grain rice
- 400g can red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 400g can mixed pulses in water, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 125g fat free natural Greek yogurt, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
For the wraps:
- 10 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Small handful of finely chopped fresh parsley
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions then drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, make the wraps. Crack the eggs into a large measuring jug, whisk until smooth and season with a pinch of salt. Stir in the parsley.
- Spray a small non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. When hot, pour in one-eighth of the egg mixture (or enough to just cover the bottom of the pan), tilting the pan to spread the egg around. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned underneath then flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer the wrap to a baking sheet lined with baking parchment, cover with another sheet of parchment and keep warm. Spray the pan again with low calorie cooking spray and make another seven wraps in the same way, adding each cooked wrap to the pile.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add the kidney beans, pulses and tomato purée and warm through for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
- Stir the beans into the rice and divide between the egg wraps. Scatter over the tomato, red onion and cucumber, and roll up loosely (you might need to hold the wraps in place with cocktail sticks).
- Serve hot with fat free natural Greek yogurt and lime wedges to squeeze over.
so do you like burritos?